Each year, Palm competes in the FIRST Lego League (FLL) Robotics competition. Students have to try out in order to make it on the competition teams. Students who do not make the competition teams will be placed on a practice team. Competition teams and practice teams are formed in August, and practice every Tuesday and Thursday until competition, which takes place in October or November. If students advance to the championship round, practice will continue every Tuesday and Thursday until December. If any competition team member steps down, a practice team member will be chosen to replace that member.
After competitions, second semester is dedicated to preparing students for the following year, and introducing new students into the club. Meetings typically begin in late February or early March, and take place on Tuesdays through mid-May. Anyone is invited to attend any of these meetings.
- complete a series of lessons to learn Spike Prime programming for the robot tasks
- develop an interest in and/or improve their knowledge of math and science
- integrate technology (computer programming) while problem-solving
- extend their reading, writing and presentation skills
- get a glimpse into future careers
- use analytical thinking, logical reasoning, and teamwork skills
- become further engaged and interested in their learning